Re: Live Foods Digest V3 #325

Hello Ed,

There are hundereds different Daphnid species -- and twice as many ways
of breeding them!

Since you are an old hand at breeding Daphnia, just do what you used to
do, keep several cultures going, as insurance against a crash, and
experiment with one culture only.

Medium hard water is generally thought to be ideal. But if you have a
Daphnia source in a duck pond, the critters are used to that water and
will do best in it.

There are many commercial sources of Daphnids
(http://www.lfscultures.com/). Some people prefer Moina
(http://www.thebugfarm.bigstep.com), which is smaller and, under
suitable conditions, more productive. But I would start with your duck
pond -- if it contains Daphnids. They will probably do best in local
water.

Best,

George