Re: Daphnia Food

Daniel,

I've tried the carrot and legume daphnia food and it works.  In fact, I might
have found the recipe from one of your postings at another site.

My problem with it is that it takes more effort to prepare, and no matter how
long I blend and filter it, it leaves a residue in the daphnia tub that has
to be removed.  I've observed no yield difference between it and the
easier-to-use soy flour - yeast food.

I've never had a problem with the yeast multiplying too much and causing
problems, but that could happen if one overfeeds.

My fish eat daphnia produced by both methods with equal alacrity.

Bill

<< While yeast and soy flour can replace green water, the yeast can grow and
coat the daphnia, even suffocate them. Also this diet can bleach the color
out of the daphnia, making them less visible to the fish and perhaps less
valuable as a food. In the archives there is a recipe I use made from a
legume such as peas, and a carotinoid rich vegetable such as carrots, and a
multivitamin. I can feed this several times a day as soon as the water
clears, and get great production rates and a brightly colored food animal. >>