Re: Live Foods Digest V3 #324

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Bill wrote:

> I've maintained daphnia for several years on a simple food made from
> two tsps. of bread yeast and one cup of soy flour.  I feed about 1/4 tbsp. of
> this mixture to a 35 gallon container of daphnia and it works fine.  Don't
> overfeed.  I feed about once a day or when the water becomes almost clear.

I am new to this list, and to the idea of raising my own foods for my
fish. Raising Daphnia seems like a good place to try, because I have
used wild caught Daphnia before and have had great success with them. I
used to live near large standing duck ponds that would literally boil
with the things, until the city decided they didn't want them around
anymore.

Can you tell me more about the conditions you use to raise Daphnia?
Water temperature, lighting, indoors or out, possible filtration (I
doubt), and the like. Also where does one get a starter culture? Back to
the duck ponds?

Thanks so much.

Ed Dumas