Questions about gammarus and daphnia

I have raised daphnia before, and read various carsheets about daphnia and
gammarus. I want to raise one (or both) in a plastic trash can in my garage,
but it's rather dark, just a bit of indirect light from one small window.

1. Can either daphnia or gammarus be raised without light?  All the
caresheets say to use a light, but if you are not feeding algae, is this
really required?

2. I think I heard somewhere that gammarus and daphnia can be raised
together.  Has anyone ever done this? Does one species eventually take over?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.