Re: Live Foods Digest V3 #239

Daphnia culture containers:

9. What's the best container for Daphnia?

Ask containers, not container. Four twenty long aquariums. Each can be moved to a utility sink for cleaning and four fit perfectly under a twin tube shop light. Anything from 2 or 3 liter pop bottles to 250 gallon vats indoors has worked for me. I had 15 to 20 ten gallon tanks set up for years because tens are cheap. I now have two 100 gallon Rubbermaid livestock water tank, a generic 40 gallon livestock tank, and a 230 gallon epoxy painted plywood vat. I was used to the tens and now I'm getting used to the vats. I would feel safer with a couple more since you never know what might cause a culture to go out. The more separate cultures you have, the less likely all will go out simultaneously. Glass is instantly inert. Some plastics will become more inert after they age a little. Many plastics will not work with daphnia ever and some will work at first and then become toxic with age.

Vinegar eels:

I have had these, but just found them more bother than microworms to feed to my fish. Keep them in darkness or in a tinted bottle. One thing that puzzles me though is the idea of adding apple and sugar to a culture. The eels feed on mother of vinegar which converts wine or hard cider to vinegar. You are adding ingredients to feed yeast to produce hard cider which might not happen quickly in the vinegar environment. Why not just add some wine or hard cider if you want to stimulate the mother of vinegar to grow?

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!