Re: Vinegar Eels

>Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 18:49:51 -0800
>From: "Gay" <ghemsath at att_net>
>Subject: Vinegar eels
>
>Hello
>
>I have a couple of questions about the size of Vinegar Eels
>From my reading I have the idea that they are approximately 1/16th of an
>inch in length
>Yes or No ?
>
>However I can find no information as to the diameter, only comments as to
>their being thread like
>Yes or No ?
>
>Can anyone give me a better description as to what they look like - Size
>and
>Color
>
>I bought a starter culture 4 1/2 weeks ago and place it in mix of 3 cups of
>water with a teaspoon of sugar, 1/4th of a small peeled apple cut into 3
>pieces, and 4 cups of apple cider vinegar and as of today still can not see
>any thing in the container except for the mother of vinegar, which has
>settled to the bottom of the container.
>
>They have been kept at room temp, here in Alaska that's 65 to 73O F
>
>Any descriptions and / or suggestions will greatly appreciated

They need plenty of air, so can die very quickly if sealed up. Used a wide
jar for more surface for richer cultures.

Try putting a flashlight on the far side of the jar, pointing back at you
just under the surface of the liquid. In a healthy culture, you should see a
cloud of rapidly wriggling, vertical hairs. Even a sparse culture will show
a few there, trying to get into the higher-oxygen surface layer.

Wright