Re: Live Foods Digest V3 #162

Hello Anton,

Tubificid worms are aquatic critters -- they need water, about 1" deep,
that is changed frequently. Deeper water just cuts down on the oxygen
exchange.

If your water supply is NOT chlorinated, there is an old method for
keeping Tubifex alive for an extended period of time:

Place them in a dense Nylon stocking, or another permeable container
from which they can not escape, and put it in a toilet tank. Each time
the toilet is flushed, the water over the Tubifex is changed. It works!

Alternatively, keep them cool and change their water at least twice
daily. Make certain that the dechlorinator which you are using is not
toxic to the worms!!!

Culturing Tubificids IS possible. There are many species of Tubificid
worms -- they all probably require different culturing conditions. So
far I have not found a really productive method, but then I have been
working with only two kinds of worms (neither identified). I managed to
kill one of them!

Best,

George