Keeping tubifex alive

Greetings to all....
     I've recently acquired some betta coccina which definitely are not flake
food eaters....blackworms (which I've fed other fish for years) are too
large...so last Friday at the LFS I purchased both and stored both of them in
the fridge with a minimal amount of water covering both...
     Here it is Tuesday and the tubifex are already dead...
     My question is am I storing them improperly and does anyone have an
easy(well how about SOMEWHAT easy) way of culturing them....
Thank you all
Anton