Re: Live Foods Digest V3 #116

Hi, Gay.

To answer your questions:

     1.  I don't use a heater in the cultures.  The temp in the furnace room
in the
          winter is in the low 60's; in the summer, when I move the cultures
outdoors,
          the temp mirrors the SE PA temps, which range from 70 to 90 plus.

          I leave one tub outside in the winter.  It fills with leaves,
freezes, and by
          early summer it is blooming with daphnia and other things.

      2.  When I purchased these daphnia via mail order two or three years
ago I
           specified pulex.  In the summer from the outside tubs I harvest a
lot of
           mosquito larvae and a few bloodworms, in addition to the daphnia.

I also raise micro eels, a good fry food, but that's another story.

Good luck!

Bill

In a message dated 1/25/2001 4:00:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,