Re: Live Foods Digest V3 #114

In a message dated 1/24/2001 4:00:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Owner-Live-Foods at actwin_com writes:

<<
 What size tubs do you culture your Daphnia in ?

 Gay

Hi,

I use 19 gallon opaque plastic tubs that I bought at KMart.

My water is hard and alkaline well water.

I have suspended over each tub an incandescent light that's on for 12 hours a
day.
They are about 6 inches above the surface of the water.  The daphnia cluster
immediately under the lights which makes harvesting easier.

One of the tubs has consistently produced more daphnia than the other,
although each produces enough for daily harvesting.  Tonight I found that the
lower-producing tub was lit by a 40 watt bulb; the higher producing one, by
60 watts.

I have a feeling that I could increase the yield by adding a second or third
bulb to each tub.  But as I said, I'm producing more than I need now, and
with greater production would come more waste matter and water quality
problems.  If I needed more I'd experiment, but I'd probably end up going to
an additional tub.

I hope this is helpful to you.  Good luck!

Bill