Re: Live Foods Digest V3 #111

Hello,

Most probably you overfed your Daphnia culture with the cucumbers --
"Too much of the good stuff"!

Such crashes are reasonably common. That is the reason why most
culturing directions recommend at least two containers with Daphnia. If
one crashes, the chances are that the other will be OK and can be the
start of another culture.

See whether you have ANY Daphnia left in the culture water. If so, they
are the hardier specimens and will make a good start of a new, more
robust, culture.

Change about 1/2 of the water, adding the new water SLOWLY, (best
letting it run through an air line overnight). Your surviving Daphnia
(if any) don't need any additional shocks. Feed sparingly, if at all.
The survivors should start multiplying in a few weeks. If in 4 weeks you
do not see any Daphnia -- it's all over.

Best,

George