Re: Cyclops

2. I have not found a way to propagate them in quantity without a
concomitant unpleasant odor.

Have them get into a daphnia culture (how I don't know - wind carried
cysts?) That is a good reason to sieve what is harvested and feed them to
reasonably good sized fry. Different conditions will lead to varying
proportions of both. The cyclops may bloom if it gets too hot (the oxygen
gets too low) for the daphnia and they expire.

A curious side effect of feeding them to adult killies even in a 2 -1/2
gallon tank with only a mop and sponge filter is that evidently a few
cyclops shelter under the sponge filter and probably in the mop. They aren't
noticed until the last fish is taken out and the tank left fallow.

A venerable, lone male died in a tank and was ignored "until later." When
"later" had rolled around, there was a small bloom of cyclops feeding off
the not so recently deceased.

Usually I would discount their danger in most situations, but ...   if few
eggs are being produced in a killie or rainbow mop, it may be time to boil
the mop, replace the sponge filter with a clean corner filter of previously
boiled gravel. At least seriously grunge the gravel. Before going to the
extreme of bleaching the tank, add some really hungry larger fry or a couple
of Corys (maybe before adding the filter and new mop) and see if that works.

Now for a question back at the assembly, would it be possible for cyclops
eggs to hatch from the bodies? I'm assuming that they also produce resisting
cysts. Once in a while daphnia cultures may be started from a tiny dollop of
frozen daphnia. (I never tried freeze-dried). Would anybody want to drop a
bit in a gallon of greenwater?

Thanks,

Scott