Re: Live Foods Digest V3 #11

Hello Shaikh,

International shipment of live cultures is an exceedingly complicated
process! Most countries have so many laws and regulations on importation
of "foreign" species, that it is not worth the bother.

Two live foods that you can get "of the land", i.e. indigenous species,
are fruit flies (Drosophila sp.) and Cladocera ("water fleas" like
Daphnia sp.). They are ubiquitous, reasonably easy to catch and to
culture.

Another possibility is a local college/university with a
biology/genetics department. They should have all kinds of strains of
*Drosophila melanogaster*. Ask for a flightless strain that is
_prolific_!

Cladocera can probaly be obtained from water quality departments -- they
use them to test water toxicity. To catch your own, look for a body of
water without a fish population.

Good luck!

Best,

George