Re: Live Foods Digest V3 #4

In a message dated 01/13/2000 3:12:22 AM Central Standard Time,
Owner-Live-Foods at actwin_com writes:

<< Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:38:37 EST
 From: KRISTINKIRK at aol_com
 Subject: Re: Live Foods Digest V3 #3

 I have a seahorse who eats live ghost shrimp (4 a day) - the ghost shrimp
are
 freshwater & I'm hoping to find a saltwater shrimp on which the seahorse can
 feed as it likes.  Any place I can order such things (mysid shrimp, etc)?
 Also, I'm curious as to whether the seahorses do better when they are in a
 pair?  Thanks, er, Tanks...Kristin >>

    Hi Kristen,
    You are in luck. I have two seahorses myself and I found a guy in Florida
who sells saltwater grass shrimp (they are identical to ghost shrimp in size)
for a reasonable price. (about .10 apeice) He accepts orders over the phone
with a credit card. I ordered 200 of them and it cost me about $50.00 with
the shipping. ( I am in Wisconsin) I have a 15 gal. tank in the basement with
a heater and a sponge filter for the shrimp and they are doing great. I'm
feeding them flake food and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. They are doing so
well that I have a lot of females with eggs under their tails. With any luck,
my culture will become self- sustaining.
    As for mysis shrimp, I have yet to locate a place that ships them live.
However, there is a place to get them frozen which I've read works almost as
well for the finicky seahorse. The only problem, is that it is kind of
expensive for the large order (about $180.00-$210.00) and proportionately
more costly for the smaller order. I suggest splitting the large order with a
friend or two if possible.
     Just click on the links below and you'll have all the info you need.
    Kurt
     <A HREF="http://www.aquaculturestore.com/">Sachs Systems Aquaculture
Welcomes You!
    </A><A HREF="http://www.mysis.com/index.html">Mysis Relicta -- Natural