[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[Killietalk] rules for fish from Canada to the US

 While we are having yet another discussion about shipping, I thought I would try to clear up the US border situation for Canadian members. We are free to bring fish INTO Canada, but Canadian bred killies are a problem going the other way, into the US. US killiekeepers can send us all the fish they want! I wanted to see if the "six fish or fewer may be okay' rule for bringing fish into the US was an urban myth or not. I wrote to US fish and wildlife, spoke to people and did some research. While one fellow told me that "if a fish species isn't being kept in the US now, it isn't worth keeping', the people I contacted were usually very helpful. And firm. Extremely firm. 

Eight "units" may be exempt from the bureaucracy, as a non-commercial import. May. This is at the discretion of the agent, and only if you cross at a certified fish and wildlife entry port. Agents elsewhere are generally instructed to refuse entry for all tropical fish which have not been processed as described in the manner below. An acquaintance who works at US Customs and Border Protection inquired for me at the local international airport and was told even one pair of killies would be refused entry to the US without the paperwork. I have pasted in my response from the US govt rep .

quote :

The U.S. importer is responsible for the legal importation of these killies into the United States.  If you are having these killies shipped to the United States, the following requirements would apply to the recipient of the shipment in the United States.  If you are accompanying the shipment into the United States, then you would be considered the U.S. importer and the following requirements would apply to you.         

If the U.S. importer intends to import these killies for commercial purposes, regulations contained in Title 50, of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 14.91, require that they must obtain an import/export license prior to engaging in business as an importer or exporter of wildlife or wildlife products.  The license is valid for one year from the date of issuance and costs $100.00.  In addition, as an import/export license holder, they must pay a $55.00 inspection fee for each wildlife shipment imported or exported under the license.   

You can view our complete definition of commercial at the following website:   http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=2a9652dc6b37e04aa0e7360c424f07e5&rgn=div8&view=text&node=50: 

The U.S. importer can find the application for an import/export license on our website at the following address: http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-3.pdf 

An import/export license only authorizes the importation or exportation of wildlife or wildlife products in general terms.  Please be advised that this license is in addition to, and not in place of, any other licenses or permits required for protected species of wildlife.   If the U.S. importer is not importing these killies for commercial purposes, they do not have to apply for an import/export license.   
Generally speaking, killies are not protected species however, as the U.S. importer prepares to import these killies into the United States, they must complete Form 3-177, Declaration for Importation or Exportation of Fish or Wildlife.  The U.S. importer can find this form on our website at the following address: http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/faqs.htm 
This form is not difficult to complete, although the U.S. importer must provide the scientific name for each species of killifish that they wish to import into the United States.     

The U.S. importer should have this form completed and have it, and these killies available for inspection as they prepare to import them into the United States. 

The U.S. importer must import their killies at a designated port.  The U.S. importer can find a list of designated ports and contact information for those ports on our website at the following address: 
http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/Designated_Ports.htm    We suggest that the U.S. importer contact in advance the port where they will be importing their killies in order to coordinate their clearance into the United States.  

Join the AKA at http://www.aka.org/aka/modules/content/index.php?id=9.
Archives are at http://fins.actwin.com/killietalk/
Modify your subscription at http://www.actwin.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/killietalk