[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Killietalk] re: Tank parasites AND NITRATE POISONING
That is it BARRY! Alum you can pick up from tones in the spice racks at
the grocery stores. And it will really put pucker in your pucker. Ingesting
Aluminum is not a great idea. Metal poisoning is just not my bag.
Wright I would have to seriously disagree with the idea that Nitrates are
"non-toxic" less toxic YES!!! Unless you are a fish that is completely
never exposed to nitrates in the wild especially discus and many other real
acid loving fish ie killies!! Strongly Acid waters never see a nitrate
cycle. just ammonium (also a less toxic compound)
Nitrates sneak up on you especially in a well established tank ie: one set
up for months or years. The big Ammonia/Nitrite "bloom" converts all into
nitrate. Just trying to keep this simple for general hobbyists. A well
cycled tank buids up nitrate, though tolerable in most circumstances not
Blue baby syndrome, NITRATE poisoning in the hospitals this is from
nitrates binding to the oxygen carrying Red Blood cells. Reversal with
Methylene Blue similar to treatment for cyanide poisoning. Hyperbaric oxygen
will do the trick as well in humans a little difficult for the hobbyist
Oh by the way do not give your children tap water that has not been tested
properly for nitrates!! A family nearby lost 2 children under 18 months
from a "bad" well!! USe R.O for your kids till age 4 or so if there is any
question of quality. Not to mention there are about a thousand other toxins
leaching in from the fields.
OK back to fish. Baby fish are very sensative to Nitrates, some more so
than others. If you are a "bad" water changer nitrates can reach very high
levels ina short period of time. one month or so especially if you think
the plants will just use it all up. Crypts cannot use nitrate as a nitrogen
source it actually is absorbed into the tissue, then bulids in the veins of
the plant and obstructs the vessels when the nitrate binds to metal ions
becoming insoluable nitrate salts in the tissues. Cryptocoryne rot!!
If light levels and CO2 levels are not appropriate for plant growth then the
nitrates will build. The results are nitrate toxicity. Decaying plants
will also convert eventually into a nitrate
The thing is heavy feeding with higher protein foods and a strong biological
filter. Will produce more nitrate than the plants can even use. Poor water
change habits. and bang a "non-toxic" substance builds high enough to kill
the fish SLOWLY. A wasting syndrome is common in Nitrate poisoning as the
fish is just ill! Poor apetite. The fact that removing the fish from the
original tank helped save the fish may be indicative of toxins!!
Now fortunately if a quality water source is used (nitrate free) a 50% water
change will reduce the nitrate levels in half. SO CHANGE THE WATER!!!! This
does not mean the fish are home free it just means there is a way out with
consistent water changes.
All this in mind this may not be the answer to the original post just an
easily reversible potential cause!!! And it beats the hell out of trying to
almost kill your fish with antiparasitic drugs. ie: kills the bugs just
short of killing your fish in the process.
Can anyone remind me do killies produce uric acid or ammonia as a metabolic
waste prooduct. Is this species specific. I recall a statement that Fp.
produce ammonia whereas others produce uric acid. It is a relatively mute
point more a morbid curiosity. Same ends different means.
Ok I have rambled enough, God Bless, Lee The Rivnut<><
To join the AKA see http://www.aka.org/pages/join.html
Archives are at http://fins.actwin.com/killietalk/