Re: [Killietalk] RE: Where have all the killies gone?

I agree strongly with most of the sentiments expressed by Dave, Lee and Brian.

My personal bias is that the AKA would do more good by emphasizing habitat maintenance and/or restoration and getting much better handle on the physical properties of the various known habitats so we can fine-tune our husbandry practices to fit. Just bringing back more of the same, or more than we can absorb is obviously ridiculous.

Bringing back insight and knowledge is priceless!

Let's be sure that no expedition leaves the US without a good complement of instruments and those who know how to use them. DO meters, pH meters, TDS meters, PAR meters, digital cameras, etc. are not cheap in ruggedized field versions. They can help do what the AKA does best, though, by contributing to our knowledge and fishkeeping skills.

We should also look into the Nature Conservancy approach to saving habitats. Some of our SA collectors have observed that large tracts of "swamp" could be purchased and protected from development, for very modest amounts. Now *that* could make a difference, and could satisfy even Dave's rigid criteria for "species maintenance." :-)

Wright

PS. Thanks, Nevin, for jolting us with this thread!

PPS. BTW, Roger Langton is doing a future article, for the JAKA conservation series, on "habitats." I also refer you to the excellent article by Charley Nunziata in the current JAKA on how some very simple organization (KCC) has helped reduce this problem within the hobby.

Wright

Brian R. Watters wrote:

Lee Harper wrote:

In a message dated 2/4/04 9:40:19 AM,