Re: [Killietalk] Cloromine (sic)

Charles,

Charles Harrison wrote:

Hello group,

I held back when I first read Wright's posting about pH of 7.5 and ammonia being deadly to our fish through adding Thiosulfate to remove Chlorine and Chloramine. But when stated that was the practice was "TERRIBLE ADVICE!" I can no longer be quiet.

Your experience does not mean it is safe to use hypo on city water, everywhere. Be careful how adamant you are, Charles, for there is ample hard evidence that your advice is not too good.

I have raised and sold tens of thousands of Angles, Guppies, Bettas, and Cichlids, Tetras, Livebearers , Barbs and Killies from my home fishroom in St Louis since 1979.

snip.... I do not hesitate to recommend to anyone the use of Thiosulfate to treat their Chloramine treated city water. The only thing I have to be careful of is the temperature, I try to keep it at or about 70F, sometimes a problem in the summer.

Let me say it again - I do not hesitate to recommend to anyone the use of Thiosulfate to treat their Chloramine treated city water.

This runs counter to the experience of a *large number* of good breeders. Two Betta Grand Champions (their equiv. of our KHY) lost entire fishrooms when the water in their cities (one in GA and one in S, CA) was switched to chloramines and they continued use of hypo. 2.5 ppm was able to generate enough free ammonium/ammonia to wipe out all their breeders and most of the young fish being raised in one single water change! When you have invested in many generations of selective breeding to produce the big show winners in ornamentals like *Betta splendens*, this can be a devastating loss.

I am aware of at least three expert killifish breeders on the SF peninsula, who went through a very difficult time with eggs-not-hatching and laying problems. Turns out that they were exposed to moderately low levels of chloramine without any notice, and two did not change their dechlorination process (simple aging). One alert breeder switched to carbon filtration and stopped the problem cold in his fishroom.

We also had an undocumented bad year at WCW, where the total post-show mortality, based on my quiet telephone survey, may have approached 90%. Same cause. Sale table fish that did not get (maybe hypo-treated?) water from the show were all just fine. No one knew that Palo Alto had added chloramine to the city supply.

Now, back to change some more water . . .

That you do that so religiously, keep your tanks rather cool, and may have lower-than-normal amounts of chloramine may help explain why you can get away with something that most beginners should avoid.

I have seen way too many sad situations, myself, to be comfortable with your blanket endorsement of hypo for treating chloramine.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley -- 760 872-3995 -- Rt. 001 Box K36, Bishop CA 93514

It's "Live free or die," not "Let's make a deal."

What is worse than Gun Control? See at:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig4/harris-sharon1.html

To join the AKA see http://www.aka.org/pages/join.html