[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Killietalk] Cloromine (sic)
I held back when I first read Wright's posting about pH of 7.5 and
ammonia being deadly to our fish through adding Thiosulfate to remove
Chlorine and Chloramine. But when stated that was the practice was
"TERRIBLE ADVICE!" I can no longer be quiet.
I have raised and sold tens of thousands of Angles, Guppies, Bettas,
and Cichlids, Tetras, Livebearers , Barbs and Killies from my home
fishroom in St Louis since 1979.
Weekly I do 100% water changes with Thiosulfate treated tap water. I
try to change all my tanks once a week to 10 days. I change my
smallest fry tanks every other day - 100% - ALL WITH THIOSULFATE
The water comes out of our tap here in St Louis at pH 9.3 to 9.9, the
addition of Thiosulfate drops the pH to less than 9, within the time
of mixing the water is free of Chlorine and ready to use. I do not
hesitate to recommend to anyone the use of Thiosulfate to treat their
Chloramine treated city water. The only thing I have to be careful of
is the temperature, I try to keep it at or about 70F, sometimes a
problem in the summer.
Let me say it again - I do not hesitate to recommend to anyone the
use of Thiosulfate to treat their Chloramine treated city water.
Now, back to change some more water . . .
Just because you could do this in 1965 does not mean it should be
done, now. THIS IS TERRIBLE ADVICE! [Please forgive my shouting, but
I sincerely hope no one follows your suggestion.]
It *will* kill or seriously injure your fish. In particular, it will
stunt babies and leave them with injured gills. Growth rate of all
your fish will be retarded.
I have known several champion-level show-winning breeders, and a lot
of less-well-known ones who stubbornly refused to face the fact (or
did not know) that our water now usually has chloramine, and hypo
releases a serious burst of ammonium. The damage is subtle and
long-term if you do partial changes. If you do 100% changes, and
your pH is above about 7.5, it is often quite fatal as some of the
ammonium becomes deadly ammonia.
Never, ever use hypo or "Novaqua"-type products unless you really
know your water chemistry, very well. Ammonia is really nasty stuff.
We now know, through experience in the aquaculture industry, that
harmful levels of ammonia happen at way below levels we can test --
typically 10 to 100 times less than the lowest reading on hobby test
kits. Doing something that releases any into the water is simply
Paul_Jablinski at notes.udayton.edu wrote:
To remove clorine from the water put one drop of hypo into the water. One
drop will clear one gallon of clorine from the water. I do not know what
the effect it has on fish over a period of a long time. I have used it and
there were no ill effects. Of course, I don't use it all the time; only
when there is an emergency.
To join the AKA see http://www.aka.org/pages/join.html
Archives are at http://fins.actwin.com/killietalk/