How cold is too cold?

I'm a new killie keeper.  So new in fact that I don't have any killies
yet!  I'm setting up some fish racks at the moment.  I joined the AKA
several months back, and have read the excellent guide that came with
membership, as well as this list.

I would like to start out with some Fp. gardneri, and perhaps some
Nothobranchius guentheri.

My tanks will be set up in a corner of the basement, which runs very
cool at this time of the year.  The temperature is approximately 16-17 C
(61-63 F).  Is this too cool for the species I'm interested in keeping?
   I know killies like cooler water, but most of the literature that
I've seen lists the requirements for these species at around 68-70 F.

I could use aquarium heaters, but I find them difficult in tanks smaller
than 10 gallons.  I don't have any other way of reliably heating the
basement at this point.

Cheers,

Andrew

--