AW: Killifish Conservation

Yes, but the main thing is to maintain the genetic pool as large as
possible. This is best done having groups to spawn and interchanging eggs
with other keepers of the same fish. Dan Hatz is coordinating the
maintenance efforts on Simpsonichtys marginatus and he is doing his job!

Which other fish are currently on a maintenance programm?

Myself I have started helping on the marginatus project. I am also running a
own project on the albino form of Nematolebias whitei. This fish is being
inbred since many generations (since the sixties as I understood) and has
become difficult to keep due to this. The albino strain of whitei is thus at
risk of disapearing slowly from the hobby due to genetic inbreeding. I am
currently crossing these albinos with 2 different strains of normally
colored whitei. The purpose is to isolate again a new pure strain of abinos
with better health and vitality. However I only have 2 different aquarium
strains of whitei.

Does someone have a whitei strain with location (best F0 or F1) or a whitei
strain which is particularly nice and healthy? That could help a lot.

By the way, albino whitei is a very pretty fish! It is worth the trouble!

Erik