AW: Killifish Conservation

Thanks to Roger Langton, the conservation of killifish under auspices of the
KCC has been brought to the attention of the members of killietalk once more.
This should be uppermost in our thoughts constantly as the AKA remains the
prime source of this group of fish today. Our hobby will become even more
vital to the future existence of killies as more and more natural habitats
are altered or destroyed. I fear much of the discussion has been directed
toward the problems of a loosely organized group maintaining killies. We
really should be concentrating on what we CAN DO as hobbyists and members of
the AKA.

Gary C. Sutcliff, "Preserving Genetic Diversity in Killifish Species
Maintenance" in JAKA, 25 (3)93-101 (1992) is a seminal article outlining
genetic diversity. It is a must for anyone interested in long term
maintenance as it explains genetic drift and describes a program for long
term maintenance with the goal of genetic diversity.

As coordinator of the mesaphyosemion group of killies I have been struggling
to obtain volunteers to step forward and organize a group of breeders of
specific species of mesaphyosemions. Surely many folks have wonderful species
and know other good breeders of these fish. I personally coordinate a group
maintaining the chocolate Aphyosemion australe. On the average of every two
years we exchange fish among others in the group. As coordinator I advise the
exchanges to maintain genetic diversity. It simply requires one maintain
healthy killies and follow the lead of a coordinator in exchanging fish.

Anyone willing to form a group under the KCC to breed one of the
mesaphyose-mions, please contact me in person. For other groups of killifish
it is necessary to contact different coordinators. The important thing is to
get involved; join the KCC.

                                                         Harry Specht
                                                         Sarasota, Fl