Re: Plataplocheilus

My tanks have always seemed a bit healthier when I had some wood or peat
in them. My theory (well, hypothesis) is that it has antibacterial
action without killing off all the useful infusoria, etc. [No need for
softening or pH shift.]

I'm too lazy to go look for it, but a study a while back showed that
wooden kitchen cutting boards were many times more sanitary than
plastic. Salmonella, coliforms, etc. may be killed by the wood itself. IDK.

Wright

Brian Perkins wrote:
> Thanks David. Yes I noticed that you have bogwood in almost all of your
> tanks. What are you getting from that?? The wood does impart a
> tea-colored appearance to the water similar to peat. Does it help soften
> the water? pH Control? I assume you are on well water, does this help
> that situation? I suppose the bogwood provides some shelter and if
> doesn't sit there on the bottom, hiding a bunch of uneaten food too.
> Hmmmmmm.
>
> Best,
>
> Northwest Killies
> Brian Perkins, President
> West Linn, OR
> www.northwestkillies.org
>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 03:12:12 EST
> From: Killifishdavid at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Plataplocheilus species
>
> Hey Brian,  Your temp's of 70-72 should be fine. I kept Plat.ngaensis on
> bottom
> shelf tank, temp ran from 68-74, 6 prs in a 20 gal. high, heavy
> aireation,
> using tightly braided yarn mops floating from one end, finding eggs
> never
> seemed a problem at the time with this set-up. I also kept some sunken
> bogwood pieces as well as a floating
> piece of driftwood w/narrow groves cut into it and would also find eggs
> in
> this cut groove, they seemed to prefer the wood over the mops!
>    David M.

      All K-Mart and Walmart stores to be closed in Iraq.
              They will be replaced by Targets.

                     www.sfbaka.net