Re: Conservation breeder's award program

Thanks Dave,

Your concluding 4 questions are right on! I appreciate the
clarification. It certainly helped focus my thoughts.

That said,

Re: alvarezi.

I have casually been looking for starting stock for several years. Do
you know anyone out this way keeping them? The last I saw were bought at
SFAS by a livebearer guy who was obviously in over his head with them.
:-( I suspect they are long dead, now.

I happen to like watching pupfish, and want to have a typical "desert
type" that is also legal. Any pointers gratefully accepted.

Some day, I hope to find a legal way to keep some springfish, too --
hopefully *Cren. baileyi moapae*. They are a real delight!

Regards,

Wright

David.Koran at HQ02_USACE.ARMY.MIL wrote:
> The concept of a program to encourage conservation efforts in the form of a
> breeder's award program is not new and had been brought up before to the AKA
> BOT.  One of the most well thought out proposals was submitted by two folks
> from NFKA (don't remember who it was from Martino, Kelley, Franco and/or
> Niedzielski).  In essence it did mirror the current BPA in the demonstration
> of success but the key element was more points were gained in each
> succeeding generation of fish the breeder was able to produce.
>
> It would be nice to recognize individuals who are successful.  On one hand,
> though, if you are really desparate to be recognized maybe accumulating
> points would be your only goal and the species of fish undertaken for this
> effort might not be filling a need for the hobby, maybe duplicating a very
> well worn road.  Success also put a premium on space to handle the fish
> successfully and this might effect quality.  Maybe this is the proper
> perspective we should all have in the first place.  Hence the effort to
> acquire points may end up being counterproductive.
>
> What is interesting is that when the Gerhard Schrieber award was first
> presented, this was to go to an individual exhibiting a fish that was rare
> or uncommon in the hobby and was present in the hobby primarily due to
> efforts of the exhibitor in the first place.  I received the award in one of
> the first few years it was presented exhibiting "Roloffia guiniensis" which
> I had maintain through at least 2 generations but few in the hobby were
> keeping.  I also remember Hans Behr receiving the award for Aphy. bivitattum
> Tiko the next year, again a fish not many other than Hans had been
> maintaining but in general was considered the main source for the species.
> Over the years the award has morphed into "most endangered fish" and "rarest
> fish".  I hadn't exhibited fish at the National for several years or
> attended until I start going again recently.  A few years back I entered a
> pair of Cyp. alvarezi which I had been maintained for 5-7 years at the time
> (don't remember) but was dismayed to see the award go to a pair of wild
> Aphy. jorgenscheeli.  While my entry had been defensive (i.e., so I didn't
> have to judge the class!), it was pretty easy to see that there were few
> rivals for the Schrieber award and the alvarezi were the leading candidates.
> The alvarezi were also sold for a relatively low price at the auction which
> made me ask if the effort to maintain this uncommon, extinct-in-the-wild
> species was really appreciate by the people in attendance or if the AKA in
> general understood species maintenance.
>
> After an experience like this it can be asked what good is your effort to
> keep something going.  On the other hand  you can also get continuous
> requests from some individuals to continually acquire a rare species from
> you as the primary breeder.  After several shipments you need to evaluate if
> [...]

      All K-Mart and Walmart stores to be closed in Iraq.
              They will be replaced by Targets.

                     www.sfbaka.net