Re: Identifying sex of fry

Perhaps you could shine a light through the side and look for the 4 black bands forming on their sides? I know when a light is shining in from the side(such as the sun comming in through the window) of the tank of my Aplocheilus Dayi juveniles, their black bands are more noticable because they are still quite thin and therefor, transparent to a degree. I could be wrong, but it's just a suggestion. Or maybe you could try using the same trick Charlie used. The picture of Chaperi that I have shows they have black bands running along the edges of their caudal, anal, and dorsal fins. Perhaps this trick will work on this fish also.
 MDelra at aol_com wrote:Hey guys, is there anyone out there that knows how to sex Epiplatys chaperi
Angona at the fry stage? Charlie Nunziata showed me a way to do it with
sexfaciatus by shining a light behind the young fish to see a dark band
forming on the anal fin. I was wondering if anyone has a similair method for
the chaperi. I am participating in the KCC with that fish and would like to
be able to seperate the females out. They seem to skew 75% male. I have
noticed that the smaller fry of the same age may have a hint of white on the
edges of the fins. I also think that the smaller fish may actually be the
females. Maybe the reason for the bad sex ratio is that the little females
become food. Mark Delraso