Re: Questions about notho breeding

Hey guys, I am not an expert with annuals, but recently have had some sucsess
in hatching eggs in the following way: I have a metal shelving unit that sits
over a heating duct. The heat does have room to travel underneath. This
shelving unit is where my wife lets me keep my JAKA,BNL, and other stacks of
killie-related paraphanalia. I do store eggs on the bottom levels and have
had huge hatches of Dwarf Red Gularis. I am wondering if the up and down
temperature has anything to do with it. A long time ago, I hatched out large
quantities of  hoineae (sorry about the spelling) by keeping the bags of peat
on top of my shop light which was on a timer. I even had trios. I brought
several bags of sexable fry to monthly meetings wondering how I could
possibly be that lucky. I do know that in a natural habitat that the soil
temperature changes dramatically diurnally. I wonder if there is a connection
with the what is known as the soil heat flux and annual egg incubation. The
soil heat flux is measured as a transmissivity of heat through a depth of
soil. It is,in general, a change in temperature with change in depth of the
soil. At the soil-atmosphere interface, the temperature follows the air
temperature and becomes more uniform as depth increases. What happens in the
environments that have temporary pools is large temperature variations from
day to night. I wonder if this triggers something in the annual fish egg. I
also know that small snails can live in damp peat and consume eggs. Just a
thought from Mark D.