From: "michael herrera" <killimike at yahoo_com>
To: "killilist" <killietalk at aka_org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 12:45 AM
Subject: Questions about noto breeding

> Hello everyone,
>
>    Its me again Mike from San Antonio.  I was changing the water today and
decided to check the water. I have yet to get any eggs from my Notobrachius,
using boiled peat as the media.

> Here was the outcome.
>
>  Tap water  pH 7.0  Kh 232.7 degree  nitrates 0.0
>
> Used water (water in the tank left for 1 week)
>
> ph 8.0  KH 232.7 degree and nitrates 5.0ppm
>
> I talked to a guy at the tropical fish store and he said that I could use
a filter or use some plants.  He said that the plants will reduce the
nitrates.  He also said that the

> plants will need some special light for about 12 hrs a day and some Iron.
I am currently using no plants in my small breeding tanks, which hold about
6 gallons.  These fish are several monthes old and should be reproductively
capable to breed ( the females are nice and fat). So can anyone give me any
suggestions on ways to improve my situation? Any particular type of plants?
I would like to stay away from moving water, cause I have tried that before
and the Notos didn't like it at all and started to die off.

Mike