Re: breeder award revision?

Generally, I agree. On one point I suggest that you may not be 100% right
on. See below.

MDelra at aol_com wrote:
> Bill, you are absolutely right. Even though we get into a philosophical area
> with respect to what the hobby is to an individual as opposed to the masses,
> I think the AKA is the one organization that will do it right. While some
> species just are not prolific and some are real volume breeders, we might
> consider consolidating the award program so that each of the different
> categories are a recognition of contribution to our hobby. An example might
> be that to reach an expert status, if thats your goal, one would have been
> recognized in the breeding, showing, conservation, and distribution of a
> particular species. If that person wanted to go with another species, they
> could do the same thing for another notch or degree of expert. So, if a
> hobbyist has 20 tanks, he or she can still compete. One of the discouraging
> facts to some people is that you can pick easy to breed prolific fish and be
> competitve and win. If your interest lies in less prolific killies , you
> cannot compete.

That depends on the judging process. As I recall, a very obscure Lampeye won
BOS at WCW 2 years ago, and a Pupfish, last year. Neither are high on the
general popularity list, and certainly not among the easy-to-breed groups.
The judges went for the best fish, and paid little attention to excess size,
gaudy coloration or some of the other factors that have been used in the
past. [BTW, both BOS winners were fairly young fish, almost full grown.]

> That may be why we hear that so and so has really nice such
> and such. I apologise for trying to climb on the soapbox, but I think this
> discussion is really on track. If all that sounds familiar, it is probably
> because we are talking about the KHY program goals. Mark D. Oh,by the way, I
> have a really nice pair of your zygaima. They are doing great. I'll be
> distributing some this spring. I dont have to pick eggs. they are hatching in
> the tank too fast.

Sounds like my *Scr. (Roloffia) cauveti* Kindia. I can't seem to teach the
parents or juveniles to eat either eggs or babies! ;-) Unfortunately they
are far too gaudy to win at WCW. Oh well... :^)

Wright

      All K-Mart and Walmart stores to be closed in Iraq.
              They will be replaced by Targets.

                     www.sfbaka.net