Re: off topic(painting of fish and such)

I am not an enthusiastic fish shower, but I am enthusiastic about
maintaining the fish we have in the hobby. Therefore I agree that we should
do what we can to promote maintenance rather that BAP and run, as I have
heard it put.

However, I do not believe that the present practice of showing killifish is
encouraging the development of varieties that have strayed from the wild
type. My understanding is that the show fish should be a good example of
the fish, compared to wild type fish. Our judging methods do not drive
changes in the fish, al la dog show model.

There are some fish that have been selectively bred to be "better" than the
wild type. The blue gularis comes to mind. Many strains are bigger than the
wild type and the colors in some may be more intense. However, nobody has
developed bizarre long finned forms, or any such thing. Some N. rachovii
strains also differ in color from wild type, with what I would call "purer"
oranges and blues. Yet, I prefer the wild type, especially the recently
collected and stunning Merrimeu MZ99 location.

To come back to what I think is the important issue, though, lets encourage
the BOT to study the issue of how showing can encourage people to stay with
a species and to maintain it, rather than breeding it and dumping it to
start a new species for the breeders points. I am not enthusiastic about
requiring the breeder to raise and show progeny. I would rather see some
other way of documenting maintenance of a species over multiple generations
and rewarding it.

Barry

At 08:04 PM 1/24/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi George,
>
>George Slusarczuk wrote:
>>Hello Lee,
>>I agree with you, that in order to further the hobby of preserving
>>killies, as opposed to just breeding them, we have to change some
>>competition rules.
>
>Amen, George, but maybe you are preaching to the choir. :-)
>
>>I know for a fact, that in order to garner more
>>"points", some people breed a fish, raise them to the point where they
>>can differenciate gender, have it verified and... literally toss the
>>fish down the drain to make space for the next species!
>>Some 15-20 years ago I proposed to the Board changes in that direction:
>>In order to receive breeding points one would have to raise the fish to
>>maturity and exhibit them in local, regional or national shows,
>>receiveing different number of points for the different shows. If the
>>fish wins first, second or third place -- it gets extra points.
>>Listing them in BNL gets another point or two, etc.
>>Needless to say, that idea went over like the proverbial lead baloon.
>>Maybe it is time to resurect it?
>
>IMHO, there is a fundamental conflict between preserving natural killifish
>and the judged-competition process that derives directly from the
>"breeding better pigs" model, as a German friend once sarcastically put it.
>
>If we want Killifish to go the route of Orandas and Bettas, by all means
>continue the present process and even make it more extreme by adopting
>"standards" that represent unachievable ideals that create a maximum rate
>of change in the fish. [Watch the Westminster Dog Show next week if you
>want to see that process in its most hideous form.]
>
>If we want a quiet refuge for natural-looking fish that please those not
>particularly interested in non-functional mutants, I suspect we need to
>resurect your suggestion or at least re-examine what we are doing.
>
>I'd like to be a part of the process, but have to be frank that I do not
>have a pat answer to the problem.
>
>Wright
>
>--
>Wright Huntley -- 209 521-0557 -- 731 Loletta Ave, Modesto CA 95351
>
>      All K-Mart and Walmart stores to be closed in Iraq.
>              They will be replaced by Targets.
>
>                     www.sfbaka.net

Barry J. Cooper, Prof. Emeritus, Dept. Biomedical Sciences, Cornell University
Adjunct faculty, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oregon State University
Home address: 27505 Riggs Hill Rd., Sweet Home, OR 97386 (bjc3 at cornell_edu)