From: owner-killietalk at aka_org [mailto:owner-killietalk at aka_org]On
Behalf Of Wright Huntley
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 8:36 PM
To: killietalk at aka_org
Subject: Re: off topic

SERMON MODE <ON>

Whether it is painted glass fish or other species, the process is a bit
cruel, and probably does the fish no good. Eventually, they absorb the
fluorescent dye and revert to their natural colorless condition, if they
don't die first.

I encourage stores who stock them to stop doing so, and even go so far as to
boycott them for all fish products if they persist. This does little or no
good, if you don't have the courage to seek out the manager and let him know
how you feel about it. Be very polite but firm. They have to stock what
people want to buy, and the kiddies do like the day-glow effect a lot.

It may help to point out to them that many large aquarium societies have
urged their members to boycott stores who carry the dyed fish.

The public will only get the word if you help spread it.

What a pity that the stores' need for colorful fish often misses the whole
world of killifish. Nevertheless, there are lots of naturally colorful fish,
like guppies, so they don't really need to contribute to torture of little
glassfish.

That's my US$0.02. YMMV

SERMON MODE <OFF>

Wright

George & Melanie Caruso wrote:
> I have seen something like this from a company called Aquatic Eco Systems.
They offer two species of fish. The Medakafish and the Zebrafish. They call
them Transgenic fish.They do some kind of microinjection with genes into
embryos. The results are some pretty electric colored fish. The fish are
sterile and can not reproduce. They use the genes from jellyfish in one
case. I don't know if this
> is the same thing as you are talking about, but it may be.
> George
>
> Michael Reid wrote:
>

>>My name is Paige. And my name is Paisley. We are fifth graders from Mr.
Reid's class.We were wondering if you knew the scientific name for Tropical
Fruit Treasers?  Wal-Mart is the store we are planning to buy from. This is
how it looks there is color injected into their bodys. they are about 3
centimeters long.they are tropical fish.We know it is not a Killifish. Thank
You for your help!

>>--- StripMime Report -- processed MIME parts ---
>>multipart/alternative
>>  text/html
>>---

      All K-Mart and Walmart stores to be closed in Iraq.
              They will be replaced by Targets.

                     www.sfbaka.net