Re: Flow system guestion about flow monitors

Hi Lee,

I use an automated once through water system.  I first tried drip
irrigation tubing, etc. but these leaked slowly around the fittings
which might be okay in a greenhouse but I find this unacceptable for
my fish room.  Therefore, I switched to PVC plumbing pipe tapped for
threaded hose barb fittings.  To these barbs, I connected a short
piece of airline tubing with a "flag-style" drip emitter on the other
end.  I connected another piece of airline to the output end of the
drip emitter and run this to the tank.  For the tank connection, I
drilled the plastic rim of the tank and inserted a small piece of
rigid airline tubing.  This setup works well.  The emitters are very
inexpensive (pennies each) and are available for different flow rates
( 1/2, 1, 2, and 4 gallons per hour) so you can have different size
tanks on the same manifold system by using the appropriate sized
emitter.  The emitters are small and can be disassembled for cleaning
- I have not had to do this in 2 years even though I have very hard
water well water.  Since I was getting bacteria, etc. growing in my
earlier manifolds which might have eventually clogged the emitters
when it sloughed off, I am using a UV lamp on the supply water only
which has prevented this growth.  I do remove chlorine with charcoal
but I raise the water temperature by using a temperature mixing valve
to mix in a small amount of hot water.  Irrigation solenoid valves
can be used to turn on each manifold of tanks (I use several
manifolds, one after the other, so as to not overload the drain by
having all of the 100+ tanks draining at once).  This system has been
a life saver since I can not find the time to do water changes on
this many tanks.  You still must occasionally siphon the bottoms of
the tanks and clean the filters.

By the way, silicone tubing does not work with this system since it
expands when under my system's back pressure and can pop off.  I use
a vinyl airline tubing which claims to be thicker-walled than normal
vinyl airline tubing.  I also use inexpensive hose pinch clamps to
isolate (shut off) individual emitters/tanks from the main system.  I
have drilled my tanks for an overflow which is a threaded elbow hose
fitting with a large-pore articulated foam insert to keep fry, etc.
from leaving via the drain.

The only problem I have had with this system is that an occasional
emitter or hose connection leaks, usually right after installation.
In these situations, I just replace the offending part.  The leakers
appear to be due to poor quality control since I have had no leaks
from some flow-rate emitters while other flow-rates have had as much
as 10% leakers (which admittedly is not too hard to deal with).

One of these days, I plan on putting up on a web site the part
numbers/suppliers for the components and pictures of the parts and
assembled system.  But do not hold your breath until I get a few
other volunteer projects completed.

Ken
Rochester, NY