RE: Artificial Hatching

Some thoughts on the artificial hatching of eggs with microworms.

Dr Turner , last month, gave me a nice reference on embryology and egg
hatching:  http://biol1.bio.nagoya-u.ac.jp:8000/hatch.html from the
Medakafish homepage.

If you look at this it explains that the fish embryos have single cell
hatching glands found in their pharyangeal regions. These glands,
rupture just prior to hatching and release a set of enzymes that act
simply to dissolve the egg membranes.

What in the microworm scenario might act to facilitate the rupture of
these glands? Well the webpage also tells us that the rupture of these
hatching glands tend to be triggered by an increase in respiration
within the embryo. A very common physiological trigger causing increased
respiration, certainly in mammals, is CO2 content.  Organisms commonly
have CO2 receptors in the blood stream that act through the lower
centers of the autonomic nervous system to increase respiratory rate
under conditions of high CO2.

So....high CO2 from all the yeast fermentation in your microworm
culture........increased respiratory rate in the embryo.........rupture
of the hatching glands.......the egg membrane dissolves.....presto a
container full of hatched fry.

Now this is only theory on my part based on simple physiology and the
article above but it makes sense to me. Any opinions from the
physiologist out there?