Flow system guestion about flow monitors

I have an idea that is beyond just a concept. I have constructed a prototype
once through water supply system that takes tap water, removes the chlorine
via a carbon filter and distributes by means of a manifold to several tanks
(I am at 12 five gallon tanks now and expanding). The overflow goes out
through holes drilled in the tank sides with a screen to keep the fish from
leaving and into a drain manifold to a discard water sump. In the winter I
recognized immediately that I needed to warm the tap water (50 degrees) to at
least 70 degrees. I accomplished this somewhat by immersing about 30 feet of
coiled tubing in my 55 gallon drum which is heated to 78 degrees. This drum
is where I have been "conditioning" water before using it to manually replace
water. From there the tubing goes to the manifold. This works OK at low flow
rates, which is where I want it to be. However I know of no cheap flow
monitor that will give me a rough measure of flow rate except the ones used
in chemistry setups where condenser cooling water is monitored. However,
anything from a laboratory supply house is exorbitantly priced. See
http://www.kimble-kontes.com/html/pg-626250.html for an example.
Barry Cooper has suggested that a flow monitor would also be useful for each
tank supply. I can estimate that, if necessary, by arranging a drip entry to
each tank above the water surface. Any suggestions by way of drip irrigation
supply places or wherever?

Lee Harper
Media, PA
USA