Re: Jiffy-7 Peat Pellets

In my previous life as a horticulturist, I was familiar with the jiffy
line. The jiffy 9's are indeed a lot smaller, so it would take more.
Also, they don't require netting because they contain some sort of
"binding agent". This would be worrisome to me, as I can't imagine what
they could use to bind them with that I would want in my tanks.

If costs is really that big a deal, why don't a few people prepare large
batches of peat from the bales and sell it damp in bags at the local
club meetings. I have done that with worm culture media a few times.
Damp peat keeps a really long time. If it was pretreated by soaking,
sifting, adding lime, etc. it would be better than the pellets and the
person preparing it might even make a few bucks selling it. And the
"waste products" from this operation would still be fine additives for
the garden. Seems like a possible business opportunity for someone.

Dennis