Re: Jiffy-7 Peat Pellets

I actually talked to the Jiffy people today, as I was looking into the
source that Lee Harper had mentioned some months ago on killietalk, namely
the Always Grows Company. First, they are kaput. If you call their 800
number you get Jiffy. Jiffy would consider selling to the AKA direct, if we
commit to $10,000 in purchases per year. Hah! Dream on. For reference, the
cost per 1000 under such conditions is about $50.

They suggested talking to a distributor. I did talk to the local one here
in Oregon. They won't sell orders under $500. They also can only deliver to
businesses, not home addresses. It might be possible to purchase an order
as a club, but then you would have the problems of holding and distributing
them. Not something I would want to take on, frankly.

If anyone comes up with a supplier than will sell at a reasonable cost (I
would consider that as $70/1000) and will ship, let us know.

Barry

At 12:54 PM 1/13/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>Morris, George wrote:
>>I wonder if Jiffy would be interested in making a product just for us, to be
>>sold throught he On-Line Store.
>
>Nice thought, but probably a waste of effort.
>
>The added CaCO3 (limestone) just saturates the ion exchange sites with Ca
>ions, to keep the peat from altering your water as quickly, and most
>fertilizing agents will be removed by the boiling and rinsing process.
>Likewise, the more soluble organic acids are removed, so only a modest
>amount of buffering is needed to completely avoid the dreaded "pH Crash."
>
>YMMV. Since boiling and rinsing are mandatory for other reasons, I'll be
>happy to keep using the 700 series pellets at whatever cheap price I can
>find. I do have to watch it and add a bit of buffering (baking soda) to my
>too-soft water, at times. [I guess I must wash out all that useful (H)CO3,
>from the limestone, with the fines and fertilizers.]
>
>Wright
>
>--
>Wright Huntley -- 209 521-0557 -- 731 Loletta Ave, Modesto CA 95351
>
>      All K-Mart and Walmart stores to be closed in Iraq.
>              They will be replaced by Targets.
>
>                     www.sfbaka.net

Barry J. Cooper, Prof. Emeritus, Dept. Biomedical Sciences, Cornell University
Adjunct faculty, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oregon State University
Home address: 27505 Riggs Hill Rd., Sweet Home, OR 97386 (bjc3 at cornell_edu)