Re: KillieTalk Digest V5 #21

I got buckets of N'Douzem from wild caught parents right away by putting
a pair in a 14 gallon rubbermaid storage bin filled halfway, sage green
color, with 2 dark green yarn mops at each end. Ph about 7, no gravel or
calcium added and out of the tap the water was about a 2 in hardness.
Temp about 70. Put saran wrap over the top since they jumped and one
good monster sponge filter. The mops were checked daily and the eggs
incubated in drinking glasses that had their water changed daily with
water from the parent's tub. Most hatched and after 2 weeks I put the
parents back in the 10 gallon with the others and dumped the fry in the
plastic tub. I know some people don't like the use of plastic bins but
the fish seemed happy, the opaque sides are probably good and the pair
certainly was productive. The 10 gallon tank also was very productive, I
kept it dark and put dark objects for them to hide in (black ceramic cup
on its side, black plastic box, rocks) as well as java moss and 4-5
mops. They had more cover than open water. Fed blackworms twice a
day.and bbs. This setup yielded fry that grew alongside the adults,
although they were usually removed if I could do it easily. This was my
first killie breeding experience and I didn't know how good I had it! I
am now raising F2 babies but the F1 parents don't breed as well. I moved
into a smaller place and they are not happy with the new arrangements.
Production in the Kritter Keeper is almost zero (2-10 eggs a week) and
the divided 10 gallon is not producing at all. So I think they need
space and the blackworms probably helped, I don't use them much anymore
unless they come from my own culture. Got tired of the hitchhikers.
Kate B
Oly WA