Re: Trap Door Snails

I agree with RJ (for a change ;-)). Many trapdoor snails are doorknob shaped
and get quit large. Others, like the Malaysian Trumpet Snail are smaller and
shaped like a cornucopia or ice-cream cone. These latter snails are prized
by aquatic gardeners as they burrow through the substrate and keep it from
becoming stinky and "anaerobic," as they call it. They hardly ever bother
most plants but are killing machines on animal matter, such as dead brine
shrimp and fish eggs.

Name, detailed description, or link to a picture is a good idea when
discussing their behaviour.

Wright

Tranquility Base wrote:
> Hi Folks:
>
> I hate to be a pest about names, but if we are going to discuss snails we
> need to be talking about the same thing. See my post of 1/1/02. There are
> several snails that have "trap doors" they range in size and species.
> Discussing trap door snails is very much like discussing killifish in
> general. Without referring to a particular group it is hard to give you any
> real good answers.
>
> The VIVIPARIDAE I have kept AKA Giant "Japanese Pond Snails" do not usually
> eat plants. They pretty much only eat algae, I have usually been able to
> collect killie eggs with them in the tank too.  The Pilidae Marissa went
> through plants like weedeaters.
>

> Peace,
>
> ~RJ~

      All K-Mart and Walmart stores to be closed in Iraq.
              They will be replaced by Targets.

                     www.sfbaka.net