Re: Trap Door Snails

Trap door snails (alias infusoria snails) are also known as mystery
snails -  its a mystery.

But, in reality ,  there are lots of theories about that,  some
microbiological,  some mechanical with the particle size. etc.

I tend to believe it is the particle size of the waste combined with the
partial decomposition occurring as a result of incomplete digestion.  The
plant matter passes through these snails pretty fast ending up on the
tank floor in a condition ideally suited to produce infusoria as opposed
to being fully digested.

Kind of like grasses passing through the digestive system of a horse and
ending up as   a high-quality fertilizer in a garden.