Getting rid of MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails)

I removed all the gravel (and most of the MT snails) from a tank and was
going to just dump the gravel, when it occured to me that they might be
suseptible to freezing. Has anyone ever tried freezing gravel (easily
done here this time of year) to kill the snails ? I understand that
people have tried bleach, but the snails remain in their shells,
impervious to the bleach. Cold however, would penetrate the shells quite
easily. If they can survive freezing, then they are obviously a real
danger if released accidentally, if not, then freezing would be an
effective sterilant for MTS.

Dennis in cold Pennsylvania