Re: Getting rid of MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails)

I can just throw it out. It's not the issue of costs or that I'm
especially fond of the gravel, I was just thinking about what they could
withstand. Cold kills a lot of things, but not all. Al's observation
that they withstand -10 and live in the Mississippi makes me think they
won't die from freezing. Heat might be more sure. I suppose a stint in
the microwave would be even more lethal. A low cost option might be to
seal the moist gravel in a clear bag and leave it in the summer sun for
a few weeks. This is done to sterilize soil by organic gardeners and
they claim it gets enough heat to roast all the nasty critters and roots.

Having removed all the gravel from the tank, controlling the remainder
is pretty easy. As the stragglers move around they are easily spotted
and removed, and the little ones cleaned up via water changes. They
really only get a good hold in tanks with gravel in them. In bare tanks,
all the youngsters can be removed before they get large enough to reproduce.

Dennis