Re: Getting rid of MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails)

The original post asked how to get them out of gravel. I've never had them,
but if the tank is stripped down, I would try boiling the gravel. I doubt
they could survive that. You would have to make sure, as Wright pointed
out, that you REALLY had got them out of the tank too, before restocking it.

Barry

At 04:17 PM 1/6/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I've got some "infested" gravel that's spending the winter outside in a
>bucket in an effort to kill the little monsters. I'll let you know in the
>spring if anything survives.
>
>Catherine
>in snowy (but not like upstate NY) Ohio
>
> > I removed all the gravel (and most of the MT snails) from a tank and was
> > going to just dump the gravel, when it occured to me that they might be
> > susceptible to freezing. Has anyone ever tried freezing gravel (easily
> > done here this time of year) to kill the snails ? I understand that people
> > have tried bleach, but the snails remain in their shells, impervious to
> > the bleach. Cold however, would penetrate the shells quite easily. If they
> > can survive freezing, then they are obviously a real danger if released
> > accidentally, if not, then freezing would be an effective sterilant for
> > MTS.

Barry J. Cooper, Prof. Emeritus, Dept. Biomedical Sciences, Cornell University
Adjunct faculty, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oregon State University
Home address: 27505 Riggs Hill Rd., Sweet Home, OR 97386 (bjc3 at cornell_edu)