Re: AW: Getting rid of MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails)

Hi Erik,

I, too, have snails in most of my tanks, and for sure in baby-rearing
containers. They are most useful.

Unfortunately, they can also eat eggs. IME, small ramshorn snails will eat
very freshly-laid eggs before the skin toughens up, but generally leave them
alone later. My guess is that pond snails are a bit worse, but I have done
no controlled experiments.

MTS are, like several other trapdoor snails, very much more carnivorous, and
they will eat killifish eggs at any stage of development. They are
nocturnal, and particularly adept at stripping a mop overnight. If you have
them in the gravel, pull the mops right after the morning spawning effort,
if you want to save a few eggs.

A saucer with meat (hot-dog, bologna, etc.), removed before dawn each day,
can reduce their numbers to practical levels if you don't want to tear the
tank down as Dennis has done.

Wright

Erik Pfingstner wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
>
> why are these snails a problem? I am happy to have snails in my tanks.
>
> Erik

   Just as any moron can destroy a priceless Ming vase, so the shallow and
ill-educated people who run our schools can undermine and destroy from
within a great civilization that took centuries of dedicated effort to
create and maintain.  -- Thomas Sowell

                  http://www.sepschool.org/