Re: Digital Cameras AGAIN

IMO, this is not a very good fish camera, Paul.

Go to http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/fuji_3800.html for a review.

It lacks manual focus. The autofocus delay of most P&S digicams is way too
slow for catching fish where you want them. IDK if it has an adequate
half-press preset, but holding that for many minutes is most tedious and
means the fish can see you.

I saw no remote, either IR or cable, so camera shake is a serious problem if
hand-holding a camera this tiny. Tripod and external flash are important for
serious picture-taking, IMHO.

A 6X zoom is likely to have enough aberrations to make resolution not equal
to the 3Mp sensor, so you are getting more noise and need larger storage to
get pictures that will not really be much better than a 1 Mp camera with a
decent Zeiss lens. [I suspect they are mixing (worthless) digital zoom and
1.6X optical zoom. Resolution could be OK if they let you lock out the
digital zoom.]

Lens is fast enough, but still not enough manual control, IMHO, for good
flash pics. [Better than the 2800, tho.]

Wright

Paul Jarvis wrote:
> Alright you camera wizards,
> I have a question for you.
> Have you seen or heard of a Fuji FinePix 3800 Digital Camera ?
> They are available for $350 and are 3.24 MP.
> I am wondering if they are any good for fish pics?
> Thanks,
>
> Paul Jarvis
> Assistant Research Scientist
> Aquaculture Research Institute
> University of Idaho
> 208-885-2823
> pjarvis at uidaho_edu

> multipart/related
>   multipart/alternative
>     text/html
>   image/gif
> ---

   Just as any moron can destroy a priceless Ming vase, so the shallow and
ill-educated people who run our schools can undermine and destroy from
within a great civilization that took centuries of dedicated effort to
create and maintain.  -- Thomas Sowell

                  http://www.sepschool.org/