Re: Sand spam

This makes no sense to me. Are you sure he wasn't talking about sand? How is it possible to stir up gravel without crushing many eggs in the process? I have stirred up gravel before to clean it, and it takes a lot of force, enough that I would be most certain eggs would get popped. And, IMO, anything that is so small that material(what might this material be? besides eggs that is) will sit on the surface counts as sand(IE, if eggs can't fit in the cracks between the peices of gravel, it is bordering on sand, and we are back at the same place). For this to work, you would have to have a layer, a single layer, of gravel, nothing piled more than 1-1 1/2 peices of gravel high, which would just be a pain. You would always have to be in the tank flattening out the gravel to cover the enitre bottom, otherwise you might as well just have a bare-bottomed tank.
 Barry Cooper <bjc3 at cornell_edu> wrote:Actually, some annuals like Nothos will lay eggs in gravel, at least small
gravel, and you can harvest the eggs. As was mentioned previously, Rosario
LaCorte uses this method for Nothos. You take the fish out temporarily,
stir up the gravel, then either whisk a net around in a figure 8 motion to
catch the eggs before they sink, or siphon off the material on the surface
of the gravel, which should include eggs. I have never tired this. I am a
peat man!

Barry

At 11:09 PM 1/1/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>Have you ever seen a tank with sand in it? IMHO, sand is far, far more
>beautiful than any gravel ever will be, especially black sand(pure white
>gets dirty too easily). I'm in the process of converting almost all my
>tanks to sand substrates(or atleast a mixture of sand and gravel) and I
>love the looks of all my tanks with sand. Also, if fish lays eggs in
>gravel, you can't harvest the eggs, and they are far more likely to lay
>eggs in sand than gravel(correct, yes?). Sand has many advantages over
>gravel from what I've learned. It can be vaccuumed out for cleaning, food
>sits ontop of it so the fish don't loose it in the crack, it can easily
>fill in spaces around caves and plants, and it is much less abrasive on
>fishes undersides. I am sure there are other advantages(disadvantages too,
>but I believe the advantages outweigh the disadvantages), but these are
>the main ones I have noticed.
>
> unclescott wrote:> With this sandblasting sand
> still require time to settle? I need something
>that goes right to the bottom.
>
>How about gravel? ;)
>
>--- Steve Thomas wrote:
> > Where can I get this sand? All the pool places
> > around here are closed for
> > the winter.
>
> > You can find it as sandblasting sand at Lowe's.
>
>Awww. I was going to suggest the night shift dodging junkyard dogs.
>
>Obligatory straight stuff:
>The gravel about the size of your little finger is especially useful for
>hiding eggs if you are going to pull your breeders and let fry hatch out.
>
>All the best!
>
>Scott

>multipart/alternative
> text/html
>---

Barry J. Cooper, Prof. Emeritus, Dept. Biomedical Sciences, Cornell University
Adjunct faculty, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oregon State University
Home address: 27505 Riggs Hill Rd., Sweet Home, OR 97386 (bjc3 at cornell_edu)