[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
re: fungused eggs
Here are a few tips that I have had good luck with.
1) Change the water the eggs are in every few days if you can. Eggs are
living tissue and thus can give off waste products and CO2.
2) Use clean aged water from the same source of the parents, not out of
thier tank! Fish wastes are still in the water!
3) Something that rainbow keepers do is to pull the mop out every 4 days or
so and incubate the eggs in a 1 gallon glass Ice tea jar full of aged water
with just a trickle of air on the opposite side of the hanging mop.
4) KEEP the containers covered at all times. dust settles in egg containers
as well as on your TV.
5) Fish eggs don't lay on the bottom in the wild they are in suspended
plants and such. My father took this point to an extreme placing the eggs
suspended on a screen that was glued to 2" ID PVC pipe. he would then
place every species that tolerated certain water perameters in their
individual pipes and place them in a rubbermaid dish pan with a slow
circulating filtration system. The results were fantastic. You are dealing
with 2.5 gallons of water rather than 2-3 oz. He even raised fry that way
with good success.
My version of this is to lay the eggs on a 1/4" bed of fine grade peat in 2
inches of water. This is more practical when dealing with only a few
species. It gets the eggs off of the bottom and gets them away from each
other. Tanons from peat also act as natural antibiotics and fungus
inhibitors. (no methylene blue! peat absorbs every bit of it )
6) Throw a little java moss in there even better yet wipe the eggs you pick
off on it! That way they are suspended ( caution do not use methylene blue
with Java Moss. The moss will die!).
7) JUST SAY NO TO FLAKE FOODS. Use High quality live and frozen foods. I
tried an experiment with blue gularis using only flake foods for
conditioning. Over 200 eggs 29fry hatched or 15% , using live gut loaded
guppies and chopped earth worm over 200eggs again 160 fry 80% hatch rate.
You only get out what you put in!
8) Most importantly DON'T GIVE UP!!! every Killifish keeper has thier
losses and thier unconquerables It is half the fun, making success that much
Anything worth having is worth working for!
The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 3 months FREE*.
See http://www.aka.org/AKA/subkillietalk.html to unsubscribe
Join the AKA at http://www.aka.org/AKA/Applic.htm