Re: AW: Mixing Fry(babies) long ramble

 I had no idea that that many Killies have disappeared, I had no idea there were that many different kinds. I guess because most of them are gone, there is no information on them on the internet, and that is why I never knew they existed. I spent the last 3 hours getting a small rearing tank for the fry ready to keep them seperate, and I am going to save up my money, and get a 28-29 gallon tank to keep the females seperated. Evetually, in a few years, I hope to get one of those set-ups like they have in all fish stores, with all the ten glalon tanks running on just a couple pumps. I believe that Tetra actually sells the setups, so I hope to get one of those some day. What got me so made about what some people charge for fish and eggs is, there is a guy, Bill Hodgkiss, on aquabid who I got ahold of, and ordered a pair of Aphy. Biat. He finally told me the price about a week after I ordered them, 30 DOLLARS!!! NOT INCLUDING SHIPPING! He wanted to charge me 27 dollars for PRIOR!
ITY mail!!! He would ship them in his own box, which he claimed was why it cost so much, IT'S A GOD DAMN STYROFOAM BOX! If I ever sell Killies, particularly if I sell as many as he does, I will give them a damn box for free! A box big enough for 2 fish from fed ex is free as long as you ship it form them! They will insulate it and everything! He is ripping everyone off. He has dozens of beautiful fish I want to order, but I can not afford 60 dollars for 2 fish! I don't think many of us can/will spend that much on 2 FISH! There is another guy that charges like 25 dollars, plus the REGULAR shipping fees, and that is for 5 PAIRS! He is the only person with reasonable prices that I have found so far. I still can't afford any even though they are a good deal. And, he doesn't have anything that I really want, except some Epiplatys. But oh well, I'm just doomed I guess.

  Scott Davis <unclescott at prodigy_net> wrote: > I don't see how some people can charge ten dollars for 12 eggs, and then
10 dollars shipping, when their fishes provide the eggs FOR FREE!

Of course the new fish room - perhaps as an addition on the house or a
finally finished basement, tanks, fan/vent, R.O. unit,, time, electricity,
water bill, food, fish, time, gas and postage to mail free eggs, lights,
timer, nets, custom made stands, buckets, other paraphernalia and so on are
free too. ;)

Now this is teasing (not ridiculing - I really want you to understand) and
encouraging you to think about what you're saying. The person who is
charging may financially not be in too different a situation from you. They
would like to expand the fishroom or be able to pay some of the expenses
(gas, motel, food, new killies, plants) to a neat fish show in a couple of
weeks.

Many of the most productive killie breeders are younger people recently out
of school (what's the average indebtedness of college graduates - nearly
$20,000?), who are thinking of getting married or setting up a household or
starting a family or purchasing a home or getting more training for a new
job or just getting that car paid for.

The only way they can justify the expenses of their expanded hobby is by
using it to meet a small portion of those expenses. (Our second Christmas
would have had no presents were it not for the gardneri sold at several
LFS.)

For a number of retirees, the situation is much the same. Income (a
disappointing percentage of those paying into company pension plans will get
their money back) tends to be pretty much fixed. Real purchasing power goes
down.

Having said that...

You will find that in terms of time (often that most precious of
commodities) people are pretty generous.

Nor is always necessary to pay huge sums for new stock. I had a visitor on
Sunday who thought he was going to have to pay for what he took. I smiled,
thinking of many kindnesses afforded me and mentioned to him that the house
rule was ask, if I have extra (eggs, fish, plants, food culture - heck even
tanks, I've given away extras I no longer needed) the answer is "yes". If
the item can't be spared, "no" - nothing personal.

He went home with a couple of fish, a daphnia start and starts for a half
dozen types of plants, I figured I could spare them. By the way, he drove a
pretty good distance with his wife and infant twins.

If he raises some of the stuff he went home with and lets it go at auction,
no big deal. Figuring the time and resources he will spend doing that, his
day job still pays a whole lot better.

Lee's comment to Eric, a pretty sophisticated and experienced aquarist, is
not entirely out of line.

There are so many killies, so few killikeepers and so little time in the big
picture. Somebody on this list noted the other day that every hobby strain
of Fpx walkeri is extinct in the wild.

As you correctly noted Chris, you already know more about killies than 99
plus % of the world. Now however consider what a small proportion of people
who know about killies have pure stains of a particular species and are
distributing them.

Actually a surprising number of killies from some years ago are still
around, but I sure wish that gardneri Klug's strain or the Yarnina Cocha
peruensis or the gardneri Lake Eyachem or the mirable traudeae or the Riv
magdelenae Cali or the Aphanius dispar or the old red geryi strain or the
Riv. isthmensis collected by Dan Fromm 20 years ago or the Aplocheilus
blocki strain they had in central Indiana in the 80s or the Cynolebias/
Simpsonichthys antenori or the Fundulopanchax rubrolabiale or the
Fundulopanchax monroviae or the Roloffia/ Scriptaphyosemion "Calibar" strain
or the original Red T - Bualanum (kekemense today) or even George Maier's
old strain of Fpx scheeli (and on and on) were still around too.

There just weren't enough killinuts and enough time to keep those wonderful
strains going. Gardneri Nsukka and Misaje are two of the most common killies
in the hobby. They aren't in immediate danger of disappearing. They will
remain, for a time anyway, whether those of us in this discussion keep them
or not.

Is it fair to ask newbies to maintain a line of killies? Absolutely not!

But good habits are easier to develop from the get-go.

All the best!

Scott