Re: keeping fry

hascallk wrote:
> Just a quick question. . .
>
> Is it better to change shoebox water with "aged water" "new water" or
> would a mixture of the two work? I don't always have enough aged water,
> although I know you could possibly change more water this way. All I
> have is a 10 g, two 5 g and a 2g with 3 sweater boxes to care for.

I'm not certain what you mean by "aged water" vs "New water." In your
area, you have chloramine, so must treat *all* water with "Amquel" o/e.
A little standing, to allow dissolved gasses to be released and room
temperature to equalize, is all it needs, otherwise. Some San Jose/Santa
Clara well water comes out looking like milk, due to dissolved nitrogen
being released as the pressure is relieved. In a glass, you can see it
clearing from the bottom up,as the fine bubbles rise.

You probably don't need water from an ongoing tank, if you add a sprig
or two of Java moss to the shoebox to introduce some useful infusoria.

If you add a little hot water to get the right temp., give it ten or 15
minutes, and the water will be stable; the walls of the container coated
with fine bubbles. [Your fish will not like those on their gills.] Treat
with a dechloraminator, per bottle instructions, stir out the worst of
the wall bubbles, and use right away, I would say.

The old days of aerating and aging tap water for a day to get rid of
chlorine are long gone. Chloramine is less likely to cause nasty
trihalomethanes, but it has a half-life of up to 5 weeks, when done
properly. Chemical neutralization or carbon-block filtering are about
the only practical ways to treat it. "Amquel," "Prime," and "Ammo Lock
2" all work just fine.

There may be others, but don't use any that "Break the chlorine-ammonia
bond" as they are just expensive versions of cheap photographers hypo.
You would still need to aerate for a day or two in your high-pH water to
get rid of the released ammonia.

My setup is similar in size to yours, and I use a couple of 1.25G
ice-cream buckets for my water changes. I fill, add a couple of drops of
"Amquel," and let set to come to room temp., until ready to change some
water. It is an ongoing process, right now. Eventually, I'll hook up
carbon filters and set up a trash-can (actually food-grade plastic
barrel) and be able to do more massive changes at one time.

Wright

--
"I hope we have not advanced to the point in this country where
  we are jailing people because the government may disagree with

Naive Comment of the Year by the attorney for a "material witness,"
being held by the US "Justice" Dept. in violation of the constitution.

              <www.self-gov.org>