Re: AW: Mixing Fry(babies) long ramble

> I don't see how some people can charge ten dollars for 12 eggs, and then
10 dollars shipping, when their fishes provide the eggs FOR FREE!

Of course the new fish room - perhaps as an addition on the house or a
finally finished basement, tanks, fan/vent, R.O. unit,, time, electricity,
water bill, food, fish, time, gas and postage to mail free eggs, lights,
timer, nets, custom made stands, buckets, other paraphernalia  and so on are
free too. ;)

Now this is teasing (not ridiculing - I really want you to understand) and
encouraging you to think about what you're saying. The person who is
charging may financially not be in too different a situation from you. They
would like to expand the fishroom or be able to pay some of the expenses
(gas, motel, food, new killies, plants) to a neat fish show in a couple of
weeks.

Many of the most productive killie breeders are younger people recently out
of school (what's the average indebtedness of college graduates - nearly
$20,000?), who are thinking of getting married or setting up a household or
starting a family or purchasing a home or getting more training for a new
job or just getting that car paid for.

The only way they can justify the expenses of their expanded hobby is by
using it to meet a small portion of those expenses. (Our second Christmas
would have had no presents were it not for the gardneri sold at several
LFS.)

For a number of retirees, the situation is much the same. Income (a
disappointing percentage of those paying into company pension plans will get
their money back) tends to be pretty much fixed. Real purchasing power goes
down.

Having said that...

You will find that in terms of time (often that most precious of
commodities) people are pretty generous.

Nor is always necessary to pay huge sums for new stock. I had a visitor on
Sunday who thought he was going to have to pay for what he took. I smiled,
thinking of many kindnesses afforded me and mentioned to him that the house
rule was ask, if I have extra (eggs, fish, plants, food culture - heck even
tanks, I've given away extras I no longer needed) the answer is "yes". If
the item can't be spared, "no" - nothing personal.

He went home with a couple of fish, a daphnia start and starts for a half
dozen types of plants, I figured I could spare them. By the way, he drove a
pretty good distance with his wife and infant twins.

If he raises some of the stuff he went home with and lets it go at auction,
no big deal. Figuring the time and resources he will spend doing that, his
day job still pays a whole lot better.

Lee's comment to Eric, a pretty sophisticated and experienced aquarist, is
not entirely out of line.

There are so many killies, so few killikeepers and so little time in the big
picture. Somebody on this list noted the other day that every hobby strain
of Fpx walkeri is extinct in the wild.

As you correctly noted Chris, you already know more about killies than 99
plus % of the world. Now however consider what a small proportion of people
who know about killies have pure stains of a particular species and are
distributing them.

Actually a surprising number of killies from some years ago are still
around, but I sure wish that gardneri Klug's strain or the Yarnina Cocha
peruensis or the gardneri Lake Eyachem or the mirable traudeae or the Riv
magdelenae Cali or the Aphanius dispar or the old red geryi strain or the
Riv. isthmensis collected by Dan Fromm 20 years ago or the Aplocheilus
blocki strain they had in central Indiana in the 80s or the Cynolebias/
Simpsonichthys antenori or the Fundulopanchax rubrolabiale or the
Fundulopanchax monroviae or the Roloffia/ Scriptaphyosemion "Calibar" strain
or the original Red T - Bualanum (kekemense today) or even George Maier's
old strain of Fpx scheeli (and on and on) were still around too.

There just weren't enough killinuts and enough time to keep those wonderful
strains going. Gardneri Nsukka and Misaje are two of the most common killies
in the hobby. They aren't in immediate danger of disappearing. They will
remain, for a time anyway, whether those of us in this discussion keep them
or not.

Is it fair to ask newbies to maintain a line of killies? Absolutely not!

But good habits are easier to develop from the get-go.

All the best!

Scott