Re: AW: Mixing Fry(babies)

 Yes, you should have low expectations from me because I have not had decades to learn everything that you people know. But, I'll wager that so far, I have learned more about killifish in the last month than 99% of the population of the entire world will learn in it's entire lifetime thanks to the internet and the people on this list. Most everything I get in replies now is stuff I already know, thankfully. O, and, I haven't talked to my mother in years, not that it matters, I just don't like her being brought up, I'm not blaming you though. I wasn't using my age as a crutch, I was explaining that I do not know everything you people know because I only learned Killies even existed about a month ago, and that I'm not 40+ years old and have not owned Kilies for 20 some odd years. I should not be criticised because I do not already know everything about these fish. I only know what you people tell me, so I should not be repremanded for asking a question that I do not know the a!
nswer to, even if some of you view it as an obvious answer. If I knew the answer, I would not ask it. I can reasonably take care of them, I can take care of them better than anyone I know, but I want to go BEYOND reasonable. Reasonable is providing them with plants, hiding places and such, correct water conditions, correct food, regular water changes and feeding, and such. I want to go beyond that by breeding them and getting others into the hobby, so I can have some fish friends to talk to, instead of just talking to my fish. I have owned fish my whole life, just never Killies, so I knew nothing about them. I have kept all others, livebearers, all types, cyprinids such as Danios and Balas, lots of different tetras, catfishes, loaches, all of them, even cichlids, but never a killie until now. The purpose may be to enjoy the fish, but to enjoy the fish, you have to know how to provide for them and keep them alive, and to get more fish, seeing as most Killies are short-lived. !
I can not keep ordering them through the mail, it costs WAY t!
oo much considering some produce 100s of eggs a month. I don't see how some peoplecan charge ten dollars for 12 eggs, and then 10 dollars shipping, when their fishes provide the eggs FOR FREE! I am going to give away most of my eggs and fry to my friend's mother for her pond,a nd I am not concerned about making a profit, I am just concerned with my fish leaving their mark. And, I would let something someone wrote discourage me because I am scared to death of doing the wrong thing for my fish, and if someone tells me that basically, I am stupid, I am going to believe them, and be afraid that I might kill my fish and I will then sell them and give up. Does this all make sense? It does to me.
  Jeremy Adams <frogfood at mac_com> wrote: On 7/30/02 11:55 PM, "Chris Browning" wrote:

> Why do it?! BECAUSE SOME of us are only 16(until tommorrow), and can not
> afford, don't know how, nor have the know-how, to set up multiple tanks for
> each type of fish!!! If they are BOTH Gardneri, they will NOT produce sterile
> fry! That is common knowledge. Plus, I doubt that any of my fish will make it
> to the market, and all will probably end up in a pond! So don't be so b*tchy
> about it, ok? I am only 16,

Happy Birthday Chris

So based on what you wrote, we should have low expectations from someone who
is "only 16" because 16 year olds aren't capable of making reasonable or
responsible decisions? I bet your mom would love to hear you admitted that
to her. Here is some birthday advice for you

€Don't take such offense to thing people type in an email. For example,
ignore all of this if you want.
€Don¹t use your age as a crutch
€Don't keep pets you can't reasonably take care of
€Be willing to accept and learn from advice and criticisms
€Be willing to compromise. I bet some one would happily send you a different
killie that you could mix with a location of gardneri
€Relax, keeping fish is supposed to be calming

> and if you keep treating all people my age that have a love for fish,
> particularly killies, that way, there will be NO MORE killies because people
> of my generation, and generations after mine, will not know how to keep them,
> and will not want to.

Last thing, is the purpose of keeping killies to be on this list, or enjoy
the fish. If it is to enjoy the fish, I wouldn't let anything someone writes
in an email discourage you from keeping a fish

Jeremy