Aplocheilus Panchax

Amanda,
    I think that Aplo. Panchax is one of the neatest killies out there.  I
wrote an article for the AKA a number of years ago about my experiences with
them, but I can't remember which issue it was published in or even which
year.
    I like you, found my Panchax in a fish store.  They were labled as
"Orange Tail Killies." The store also had Aplocheilus Dayii labled as
"Golden Killies" and rice fish labled as "Blue Eyed Lampeyes."  I bought all
3 kinds, but I will just keep it to the Panchax here.
    I bought about 20 Pan from the store, I felt sorry for them.  They
looked terrible.  Dull, brown fishes hidding in the corners.  This is not a
shy fish by nature, but they had oviously gone through a rough time from
collection to arriving in the pet shop.
    I took them home and set them up in 2 different 20 gallon tanks supplied
with a strong current, gravel bottom, floating mops, and a light hood.  The
temp was 72-78 degrees.
    They ate like pigs, at first only live food, then a mix of live, frozen,
and dry, they ate everything once acclimated.  It only took a matter of a
few days for me to see a transformation of a dull brown fish into what I
consider one of the most beautifull of all killies (some aphyosemion or
notho keepers will obviously dissagree here).  They don't have all of the
flashy reds of aphyosemions or nothos, but they do have a sparkling,
irredecent quality to them.  They also liked the light and are very active,
so they showed up much more than the other killies that I was keeping.  They
very a great deal in there color scemes. The basic pattern is the same, but
the color of the fins can be blue, white, yellow, or my favoite, bright
orange.  This is lined with black, making a nice contrast.  There are
several irredecent veins in the fins, which adds a flash of brilliance as
the fish swims and the light caches it at different angles.  This is an
active species with lots of behavior and personality to observe.
    In one tank, an orange tailed male became dominant.  I removed the other
males, leaving 5 or so females.  The males were not beat up badly or
anything, but they always made a dash for it at the approach of the dominate
male, and were hiding in the corners, and so I gave them there own tanks
with there own females.
    They displayed and spawned all the time. Egg production seemed moderate,
but this could have been because many times they spawned in the gravel
rather than in the mop, and I was not worried about getting large amounts of
fry, so I did nothing to prevent this.  By all means, throw in froating and
sinking mops, and you will get more eggs.  They do not seem to throw as many
eggs as say Gardneri or Blue Gularis, but for an Aplocheilus The eggs are
quite large and seemed very resistant to fungal infections.  They are water
incubated and the fry are very hardy.  They do not grow as fast as maybe
Blue Gularis, but they still grow fairly rapidly compared to many killies.
They were started on vinegar eels, microworms, and baby brine shrimp and,
like there parents, were pigs.  The fry are very dark, almost black and are
very easy to see in the eggs.
    Good luck with Panchax, it is one of my favorate species.  I consider it
very beautiful, hardy, and easy to breed.
    Dan Hodnett
killies at hitechnetworks_net